When asked about hospice, many people know that it provides help with family caregiving, and spiritual care to patients and their families when a cure is not possible. Everyone seems to know a family or friend who was helped by hospice when faced with serious illness and passing of a loved one. However, many people may not know that hospice provides what the majority of Americans say they want at the end of life – excellent pain management, comfort and emotional support for the patient and the family.
Here are some things about Hospice you might not already know:
- Hospice care is fully covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance.
- In addition to quality medical care from nurses and doctors, highly trained social workers, clergy, aides and volunteers comprise interdisciplinary teams offering comprehensive support and respite.
- Hospice care is available for those with advanced Alzheimer’s’ disease, cardiac ailments and to anyone who is facing a serious life-limiting illness.
- Hospice care is available as long as a doctor believes the patient is eligible.
- Hospice professionals can help people document their wishes for end-of-life care and offer assistance with important documents such as advance directives.
- Hospice care can take place in an assisted living facility, nursing home or wherever someone calls “home”.
- Hospices offer grief support to the families for 13 months after the passing of their loved one.
- One of the most common sentiments from families who have been helped by hospice care is, “We wish we had known about hospice sooner.”
Stein Hospice of the Wilf Campus is honored to provide hospice services throughout Middlesex, Somerset, Union and Western Monmouth Counties. Stein Hospice is also a hospice of the Jewish faith, which means we understands and respect the religious needs of patients and their families. If you are interested in learning more about how you can help provide your loved one with comfort, support, and respect during this time, please contact Stein Hospice (732) 227-1212 or go to www.Steinhospicenj.com.
*This information is provided by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and Stein Hospice.