Tradition is important when it comes to the Jewish religion; our matzo ball soup recipes usually come from our grandmother’s, grandmother’s grandmother. Of course, those recipes are the best matzo ball soup recipes out there, but change is always nice. If you’re looking for more options to add to your Passover seder, try this new recipe that puts a different twist on traditional matzo ball soup.
Spinach Matzo Ball Soup
Have a vegetarian family member or looking for a more healthy option this spring? This yummy recipe will do just the trick.
1 ½ cup matzo meal
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
2 tablespoon seltzer
¾ cup fresh spinach (washed and dried)
- Add all ingredients, besides spinach, in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Put spinach in food processor until finely chopped, add to mixture in bowl and stir.
- Place bowl in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Fill large pot with 1 ½ quarts of salted water, bring to a boil.
- Roll a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball and put in boiling water. Repeat with the rest of the bowl.
- Cover pot with lid, bring heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Heat up broth (veggie or chicken) and add vegetables of your choosing (carrots, celery, onions, etc.),
- Add matzo balls to the soup.