June is Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month! Take the purple pledge and help support those facing Alzheimer’s.
Educating yourself about Alzheimer’s is extremely important. According to Alzheimer’s Association, every 67 seconds someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s. This disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States.
Each time you talk about Alzheimer’s disease, you help raise awareness and inspire others to take action. Throughout the month of June wearing any type of purple clothing or item displays your support for an important cause. Aside from showing your support, you can also follow these 10 tips to help reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s:
1. Exercise – Engaging in physical activities that elevate your heart rate and increase blood flow to the brain and body help to decrease your risk of Alzheimer’s.
2. Wear Your Seat Belt – Brain injury can raise your risk of cognitive decline and dementia. Using a helmet when playing contact sports and wearing your seatbelt, are two ways you can help protect your brain.
3. Avoid Smoking – Quitting smoking can reduce the risk of cognitive decline.
4. Sleeping – Not getting the proper amount of sleep may result in problems with memory or thinking.
5. Stay Socially Engaged – Consider volunteering in your local community! Staying socially engaged helps support brain health.
6. Eating Healthy – A balanced diet filled with vegetables, fruit and foods low in fat help reduce the risk of cognitive decline.
7. Education – Taking a class or attending a workshop at a local college will help reduce your risk of cognitive decline.
8. Treat Your Heart Right – Risk factors for cardiovascular disease and stroke tend to have a negative impact on your health. Take care of your heart and you will remain healthy!
9. Take Care of YOU – Keeping your health up to date and learning how to manage your stress comes with many benefits. If you feel you are suffering from depression or anxiety seek medical treatment immediately.
10. Challenge Yourself! – Playing a strategic game, doing something artistic, or completing a difficult puzzle can help you keep your mind active and reduce your risk.
For more information please join our upcoming workshops related to memory at the Jewish Family Services of Middlesex County, located at 52 Concordia Shopping Center in Monroe Township, NJ:
Tuesday, July 28: Total Memory Workout Series from 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Rev up your recall – Remembering the people you meet.
Thursday, August 13: Fun With Memory Games from 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM. Test and strengthen your memory with a number of fun and interactive memory games that you can also easily practice at home with your friends and family.